Our experienced employees and high-performance precision machines, both CNC and conventional, enable us to mechanically machine workpieces in the highest quality.
Turning, milling, or grinding – your requirements are in the best hands with us.
Our programming system with dxf interface ensures smooth operations. The key strengths of our company also include profile cutting as well as the manufacture of miniature components.
bmk Baumann GmbH and Co.KG from Nuremberg specialises in metal and plastics processing. Key products in the company’s portfolio include ball bearing cages as well as components for the mechanical engineering, medical engineering, and aeronautical engineering industries. The manufacture of such premium-quality components requires the utmost accuracy and precision, as well as many years of experience. We offer the necessary expertise thanks to our motivated employees, high tech, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes.
About machining (chipping)
Machining (chipping) in accordance with the German DIN 8580 standard describes various mechanical material processing methods; it is assigned to the main category of “cutting”. Several different machining steps are required before the finished product emerges. The relative movement of the tool – consisting of several individual steps if required – cuts the predefined workpiece to the desired final shape, removes excess material, and prepares it for further processing steps.
The penetration of the tool cutting edge into the material to be machined is referred to as the “machining process”. In most cases, the tool cutting edge is wedge-shaped and serves to chip thin layers of material. Since chips fall off during this machining process, it is also referred to as “chipping”. The tool deployed must be harder than the workpiece to be machined. Various materials are used for this purpose, such as so-called super hard cutting materials, including cubic boron nitride and diamond. Special ceramics are also used for machining (chipping). The multifaceted requirements to be met by tool materials include: compressive strength, bending strength, heat resistance, hardness, and viscosity.
In addition to the machining of metal workpieces, materials such as plastics, composites, Plexiglas, and timber can also be used and machined. Tool cutting edges in various geometries and shapes are available in order to implement the desired shape.
Origin and development
Today, the deployment of state-of-the-art manufacturing techniques and computerised technologies makes it possible to bring true perfection to machining (chipping). Our ancestors in the Palaeolithic Age already relied on materials such as stones for scraping or peeling off materials. This enabled them to manufacture simple tools such as saws and drills, which were later replaced by materials such as bronze and iron. In the Industrial Age, these manufacturing techniques were developed further, resulting in workpieces made of steel, as well as cutting materials made of high-speed steel and ceramics.
Machining (chipping) techniques
- Top-notch CNC machines enable the machining of workpieces with the highest precision – and thanks to latest-generation control technology, modern machine tools today are able to create even the most complex shapes. Providing an interface for all common file formats, the CAM programming system is also simply perfect for manufacturing complex components. Products are made of various materials such as steel, non-ferrous metals, plastic materials, Plexiglas, and composites.
- CNC milling, or Computer Numerical Control milling, is one of numerous machining processes applied today. Various CNC milling techniques are deployed to machine workpieces in several axes. bmk Baumann GmbH & Co. KG relies on five-axis CNC machining to manufacture milled parts on pivoting and shifting tables. Turning also falls into the Machining category. Workpieces with a diameter in the 1mm to 400 mm range are manufactured using this technique. bmk Baumann is proud to offer CNC turning from bars with diameters of up to 81 mm on machines with power tools and bar feed mechanism. Furthermore, CNC precision machines are available for hard turning.
Further steps and processing processes
These many machining techniques enable us to manufacture workpieces with the highest accuracy. The individual components can be subjected to further machining steps before being used for assembly:
- Punching and forming on eccentric and hydraulic presses.
- Vibratory grinding. This machining technique focuses on the effective and cost-efficient deburring of manufactured components. Machines such as centrifugal (disc) finishing machines, as well as rotary and trough vibrators are used for this step in the overall process. For final grinding and surface finishing, our company relies on various abrasives and the finest polishing agents.
- Ultrasonic immersion cleaning: Residue-free and gentle ultrasonic immersion cleaning completes the overall machining (chipping) process. Contaminants and oil residues are removed during this step.
- Ensuring the highest precision, laser processing plays a key role in model making, print finishing, and metal construction. Lasers are ideal for both cutting and engraving. These techniques are required to manufacture construction kits for model making, as well as to engrave items such as advertising giveaways and markings on all kinds of materials.
- Adiabatic cutting is a chipless high-speed cutting procedure also referred to as High-Speed Impact Cutting (HSIC). Structural changes caused by tensile stress or heat can thus be avoided to the greatest possible extent.
- Large series can be manufactured without any problem.
Quality made by the company from Nuremberg
The machining of products requires absolute precision and long-standing experience. bmk Baumann GmbH& Co.KG is a manufacturer of precision parts, such as ball bearing cages, which fulfil important requirements with regard to surface finish quality, running smoothness, roundness, and tolerance. These parts consist of phenolic resin-bonded fabric, extra-fine fabric, plastic materials, steel, and non-ferrous metals. To satisfy even the most demanding requirements, the machining performance bmk Baumann offers its customers is well above average: thanks to highly motivated employees, experienced specialists, as well as state-of-the art manufacturing technologies – from CNC-controlled machines to material selection and manufacturing documentation, right up to final inspection. Here also, CNC-controlled, optical, and tactile measuring techniques support the result.
Our specialist know-how, as well as our machining quality, are certified in accordance with ISO 9001 and have also been confirmed by the German independent service company TÜV Süd. Flexibility and individuality also play a significant role when it comes to the implementation of exceptional requirements. This is what we understand by service which goes far beyond the standard!